Do you want to know how to upgrade the firmware of your TP-Link Router? If yes, then you are at the right place. This article will help you find out the best ways to upgrade the firmware of your TP-Link router. The latest firmware for your router assures you that you have the least or zero bugs along with the highest possible network security. Once you enter the TP-Link login page, you will be notified about the latest version available for your router. Before you move forward with the steps for an upgrade, there are some points that you need to keep in your mind.
Points to Remember:
- Some models of the routers have different hardware versions. It is very important to check the hardware version of your choice otherwise it will damage your device.
- You should not use a wireless connection to upgrade the firmware.
- Keep in mind the notes when you download the firmware. There are cases where the new firmware does not support the backup files of the previous firmware. In such a situation, you will need to reconfigure your router manually.
- Make sure you have a stable connection to your router so that the upgrade process does not get interrupted.
- No USB Device should be plugged into the router while an upgrade to prevent the loss of data.
Upgrade the firmware of your TP-Link Router Online:
Here are a few simple steps that you need to follow to upgrade your router’s firmware using online mode:
- Open the link http://tplinkwifi.net or IP address 192.168 1.0 in your browser and log in with your TP-Link ID and password.
- If the latest version of your router firmware is available, it will be shown on the top right corner of that page. You just need to click on the icon to upgrade the firmware or you can go to Advanced>System tools>Firmware Upgrade. By doing this, you will find whether any upgrade is released or not.
- Hit on the Upgrade Icon under the Online Upgrade.
- Now you just need to wait for some time. You will notice some changes in the light of the router. Wait till the lights are stable and the router reboots properly.
NOTE: Always keep your router updated to experience its smooth and bug-free functioning. The upgrade is important from the security point of view also. Once you log in with tplinkwifi login, you will find a pop-up on your router page. You just need to click on the Upgrade Now icon and you will be able to upgrade it soon.
Upgrade the firmware of your TP-Link Router Manually:
If your TP-Link Router does not support TP-Link cloud service, you need to upgrade the firmware manually. Follow the below-mentioned steps to upgrade your TP-Link Router Manually:
- Download the latest version of firmware on your device. Open the TP-Link website and then navigate to the download centre of your region. Also, you need to choose the corresponding version of your hardware. After that, select Firmware. Now, a list of firmware will appear before you.
- Go to the .zip file and extract the firmware from there.
- Log in to the web management page of your TP-Link router.
- Select the option of Firmware tools upgrade and then select the option of browse or choose a file to get the firmware file. Now, click on Open.
- After that, select the button for Upgrade. Once the upgrade is done, the device will restart.
- Go to Status and see if the firmware of your router is upgraded or not.
- Sometimes, your router goes back to factory default settings after a firmware upgrade. In such a scenario, you should run a Quick Setup Wizard for reconfiguration of your router device.
So, it is always recommended to keep the firmware of your TP-Link Router updated to get the strongest signal, optimal performance, and enhanced security. Newer routers can automatically download and install the firmware updates as compared to the old ones. Although upgrading the firmware of the router is very simple and easy to conduct, we will suggest you choose the upgrade only as a last resort. No doubt it will improve the functioning of your router, but, there are chances of permanent damage to your router if you are not careful. If you are still confused about the upgrade of your TP-Link Router, feel free to leave a comment so that our technical experts can get you there.